Wednesday, May 5, 2010

'I like a bit of fisticuffs': War hero, 91, gives burglar a black eye for stealing his medals


When Michael MacKinnon decided to rob a 91-year-old man's home, he probably thought he was in line for easy pickings.

Unfortunately for him, his victim was a pull-no-punches retired judge who earned the nickname 'Hang 'em Hook' in his 30 years on the bench.

Rather than simply hand over his prized possessions, William Hook, a former prisoner of war, gave his attacker a black eye.

Soon after, police discovered the hapless MacKinnon floundering in a nearby river with his haul – while his victim, who apparently enjoys a 'bit of fisticuffs', was none the worse for his ordeal.

Last night, Mr Hook spoke out about the attack by the sneak thief after MacKinnon appeared in court to plead guilty to assault and robbery charges.

He said: 'He didn't scare me in the slightest – in fact I like a bit of fisticuffs. He gave me a black eye so I gave him one back.

'He probably thought he had got lucky when he saw me but there's life in me yet and I thumped him as hard as I could.

'The police couldn't bring him in for me to identify because he was soaking wet, poor chap.

'I've come through worse things in my life, that is for sure – I had a tough time as a POW and came back showing nothing but rag and bone.

'Nevertheless, I survived and here I am today, still fighting off what the world throws at me.'

The former sheriff's ordeal began on January 27 when MacKinnon, 26, walked in through an unlocked door at his home in Edinburgh's New Town.

Fiscal depute Ruth Ross-Davie told Edinburgh Sheriff Court: 'MacKinnon entered the house by the front door, which was shut but not locked.

'It was left open because Sheriff Hook regarded himself to be living in a good area and wouldn't require to lock his door.'

The prosecutor told the court that MacKinnon went into a bedroom and stole a number of items including cufflinks, two medals, some gold buttons and tie pins.

'He then approached Sheriff Hook, who was in the sitting room, and covered his head with a cloth and indicated he wanted him to give him all his money.

'He gave MacKinnon the £5 note which had been in his pocket at the time before the accused made his escape out the back door.'

But the crook struggled to make a quick getaway, as Sheriff Hook's residence backs onto the Water of Leith.

No comments:

Amazon