Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Master Plan

He isn't an employee. He is a contractor. He is 19 and therefore legally responsible for himself. Nonetheless, I agree, Spring Masters does exploit their workers. Very few earn anything even close to minimum wage. Ben Stewart's strategy is quite simple: Brute Force. Fill the city with as many contractors as possible; Harass the same area of town 5 times over a period of 6 weeks. Some will succeed; some will falter. On average, Ben profits substantially.

1. The Fertalizer used is not as advertised.
2. The grass seed used is not as advertised.
3. The driveway sealent is not as advertised.

Yes, it is highly unethical. However, your 19 year old son is an adult. He signed a binding contract. He is legally responsible. Please, teach him how to read carefully before he commits his time and energy.

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/springmasters-canada-c205302.html


Posted: 2009-05-25 by scarlett2122


Staff exploitation
Complaint Rating:  85 %  with 27 votes
Company information:
Ontario
Canada

An open letter to Spring Masters:

My son worked for you for 5 days. No solid training or assistance was given, he was left alone in a neighourhood for 10 hours to knock on doors, he had no marketing materials to distribute which was very important given than many people are not at home at 10 in the morning on a weekday. But worse - he was told there were pre-booked appointments from which he could try to obain new business. Once he started, he was told that all the pre-books were done in April - he started May 4.

What kind of operation are you running?

On his last day, waiting to be picked up by his manager, 3 managers approached him. They accused him of stealing, called him a criminal, searched his backpack (this is illegal) and took the $20 he had made from one sale, his own ten dollar bill and a looney and left him with nothing. They took his shirt, leaving him in his undershirt, and LEFT HIM IN NIAGARA FALLS TO MAKE HIS OWN WAY HOME. And it took 3 of your bully boys (you call them managers) to intimidate a 19 year old. I guess I should be grateful they didn't rough him up.

Even if the accusation was true, which it was NOT, you have an obligation as an employer and should at least have taken him back in the truck and then fired him. This is appalling way to treat staff.

I have filed complaints of your disgraceful ethics with the Better Business Bureau of Canada, and Employment Standards.

And I will blog this story everywhere I can to warn other students to beware of working with unethical people.

I'm currently an independent contractor for Spring Masters Canada and I, myself, have heard of a similar scenario occurring at my own location (although not to that extreme). I don't intend on staying with the company, as I've come to realize that I'm not a strong sales-person. I do, however, find it hard to believe that the managers would take such actions without having some reason to believe that he had stolen. Granted, the fact that they allegedly searched his bag and took his money is illegal and horribly unethical (the situation could have undoubtedly been resolved in a more tactful fashion), as is the fact that they left him in Niagara. As well, no they don't have an obligation to bring him home, but doing so is both morally and ethically unacceptable.

As for the statement that:

"1. The Fertalizer used is not as advertised.
2. The grass seed used is not as advertised.
3. The driveway sealent is not as advertised."

I would like to know what grounds of evidence this is based on; it's a very vague statement.

I've purchased the Spring Masters Standard Plan over a month ago and I'm still waiting to have someone come to my home to get the job done.
I've heard every excuse in the book so far...and now nobody returns my calls. I'm concerned that Spring Masters Canada isn't even a legitamate company...if anyone has had a good or bad experience can you kindly share? I'm just hoping I didn't get scammed.
Thanks

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/springmasters-canada-c205302.html

No comments:

Amazon